Message from our Chief Executive Officer – Nicolas Moreau
I wanted to share my thoughts on our contribution and highlight key successes from the past quarter. The business continues to go from strength to strength. Our AUM now stands at USD625bn as of 30 June 2021, and is split as follows:
Our net new money from clients so far this year is made up of long term business inflows of USD19.7bn and liquidity outflows of USD14.9bn. These outflows were primarily driven by clients reducing their cash buffers built up to manage the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic and market interest rates at the low end of the cycle. Notwithstanding these outflows, liquidity net flows since the start of 2020 are +$17.4bn.
What we’ve done for our clients
- We achieved an Advanced rating from Morningstar’s ESG Commitment Level Assessment, making us “among the industry’s strongest ESG proponents”, according to Morningstar. This supports the hard work that’s going into our sustainable investing strategy and evidences that we’re playing our part in helping to create a better world.
- We became one of 41 new signatories to the Net Zero Asset Managers initiative, an international group of asset managers committed to accelerating the net zero transition. As a signatory, we've committed to working with clients to achieve net zero emissions across their portfolios by 2050 or sooner, and set interim 2030 emissions reduction targets. 90% of our AUM is now managed with ESG integration or screening – our aim is to increase this to 100% over time.
- We announced our partnership with RadiantESG, a US-based ESG and D&I specialised consulting firm. With our backing, RadiantESG will become RadiantESG Global Investors, a women-owned asset management firm that will focus on next generation ESG investing opportunities for institutional and wealth management clients around the globe.
- We announced the creation of HSBC Alternatives to deliver the benefits of alternatives asset classes to new and existing clients.
- We’ve also strengthened our sustainability proposition with the creation of a Sustainability Office. Clients will benefit from increased focus and resource alignment, development of innovative products and solutions, and insight on alignment to net-zero portfolio emissions objectives.
- We launched a new venture capital investment strategy aimed at investing in companies that will participate in the transformation of financial services.
What we’ve done for our people
- Our AM DE&I initiative is going from strength to strength, with 222 passionate volunteers
- We launched a parental transition coaching programme for expectant and new parents. Tailored to individual needs, the programme aims to help colleagues manage their careers alongside a happy home life.
- We’re always exploring ways to improve working practices across our business. July saw the introduction of our pilot of having a Zoom Free Friday every month to help us all spend time away from virtual meetings and instead focus on personal development.
Looking ahead, our focus will be on further strengthening our culture and building on the momentum in delivering on our strategic business objectives. There is a lot of great work happening with the above outlining how we’ve opened up a world of opportunity for our clients and colleagues in the last quarter. I, and my team, remain available for you and we look forward to being able to help you throughout the rest of this year and beyond.
Thank you for choosing HSBC Asset Management.
This page is prepared for general information purposes only and does not have any regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and the particular needs of any specific person who may receive it. Any views and opinions expressed are subject to change without notice. This document does not constitute an offering document and should not be construed as a recommendation, an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to purchase or subscribe to any investment. References to 'we', 'us' and 'our' are references to HSBC Asset Management.